Friday, November 11, 2011

Roasted Lemon Chicken

I made roasted chicken tonight and whenever I do it never tastes quite right. It's always dry and tough... even thought I don't overcook it. I read up on the subject and here's what I figured out... I wasn't roasting it long enough. This time I roasted the chicken for over an hour. Then I wrapped it in foil and let it sit for 20 mins before carving it. It was friggin' amazing. Even my step son Jay loved it!

Here's what I did. Ingredients:

1 chicken
1 lemon - rind and juice
salt/pepper
lemon pepper
olive oil
butter
onions

Wash the chicken and make sure it doesn't have any pin feathers left in it (I HATE that). Take salt and coat the chicken liberally, scrub the chicken and then wash off... you're just doing a little salt scrub for the chicken to that the skin is smooth and clean. Pat the chicken dry.

I made a little marinade using lemon, lemon zest, olive oil, lemon pepper and olive oil. Quarter the onions and make a bed for the chicken. Salt and pepper the chicken first, the coat with the marinade, put it on the onions and throw it in the oven for an hour to an hour and a half. Baste every 15-20 mins.

That's it. Once you can take a chicken leg and pull it off the chicken without much effort, it's done.

This chicken was so amazingly good, and the pan drippings were insanely lemoney good. I think my past mistake is not basing the chicken. I think the basing really adds moisture to the chicken.

Don't be intimidated by a whole chicken. Try this... it's really good.

No comments:

Post a Comment