Saturday, November 19, 2011

I made lipstick!

Last weekend I decided to try out a project I've had on my mind for a while. I made hard lotion and lipstick.

So what the heck is hard lotion? It's just a solid lotion bar. What are the advantages of using hard lotion? Well, if you're traveling, you don't have to worry about the pesky 3 oz liquid rule. Also, you don't have to worry about it spilling in your purse. Here's how I made it.

Measure equal parts:
Shea butter
Bees Wax
Virgin Coconut oil

The bees wax melts at 175 degrees, however shea butter and coconut butter melt at closer to 75 degrees. Use a double boiler and melt the bees wax first. Once it's melted, turn off the heat and add the shea butter and coconut oil. By just stirring, the shea and coconut will melt. Once all butters are melted you add fragrance oil (make sure it's lip-safe). This will be the base for your hard lotion. From there you can add to a mold (much as the moose mold I used).

Separate out the liquid you will be using for your lipstick. Add more shea butter and coconut oil to get a creamier texture than your hard lotion bar. I took a soon and dipped it in the oil, let it dry and then rubbed it on my lips to see what texture and consistency would be. Add more shea/coconut until you get the right creamy consistency. Carefully pour into chapstick tubes. I used a disposable dropper to fill the tubes.

You can find all the supplies to make your own lipstick and hard lotion at http://www.brambleberry.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment